Day 147


When asked "Do you think Ayutthaya is worth the effort
if we just have 4 days to spend in Bangkok"
I immediately recalled why,
couple weeks ago,
I had thought so.

In fact, I just had about 4 days on my own to see Bangkok,
but  I felt there was more to grasp from the surroundings
and I was absolutely right.
I followed the suggestion of a precious source who told me about
this Unesco World Heritage Site,
showed up early in the morning at the Hua Lamphong station
and by the end of the day
I was back in Bangkok 
after an experience I could hardly forget.

Where three rivers decided to meet
- Pa Sak , Lopburi and Chao Praya -
lays a city which was once
 a magnificent capital to the ancient Ayutthaya Kingdom 
(also known as Siam Kingdom).
The city was a splendid center from the XIV to the XVIII century,
when it was destroyed by the Burmese army.

Today, it is really easy (and cheap) to reach it
and two hours on a local train
will be well repaid by the breathtaking view
of its gigantic monasteries, 
by the peaceful and elegant parks
that were once the framework of the Royal Palaces
and by the three rivers,
that flow together around the Ayutthaya island,
as if they wanted to rest while coasting
the fascinating ruins,
before following on their different paths.