Day 202


One thing is sure :
human perspectives upon life are endless, extremely different
and sometimes inscrutable.
The  the first time I saw a Burkini
I couldn't help feeling oppressed, uncomfortable and somehow sad.
From my perspective, 
the idea of voluntarily rejecting the sensation of your body
being freely caressed by the sea
it is just
holy craze.

But it is undeniable that it allows muslim women
to be more active and to enjoy the water,
both for sport or for pure relax.

This means that the question is on a higher level,
and searching the network for a better insight
I crossed the article of a 32-year-old professional senior manager
 for an international NGO, living in the Us, who
" led a delegation of American women into Afghanistan in 2003, and put my life on the line in Iraq struggling for women's constitutional rights [....] The part of my life where I had the opportunity of meeting leading women from Queen Rania of Jordan to Hillary Clinton [...]"
who at the age of 17 years old
decided to wear the hijab
and never regretted her decision,
to the point of practicing sport in public facilities
wearing her Burkini across America and England.

Another interesting source is

a blog written by an American woman who reverted to Islam on 2010.
She gives us her ideas about the Burkini,
but what I see in these women
is the (extremely hard) opportunity of understanding their choice from
a well educated, Western-raised and modern point of view .

Still, I am extremely far from understanding and accepting
their choice,
there is still too much between my concept of freedom
and theirs.
Perhaps one day I'll get why a graduated successful woman
at the peak of her career and opportunities
should voluntarily cover her face and hide behind a 5 pieces
lightweight and water repellant Burkini
when we were all born naked.