Day 12


Freedom.
Probably the hardest sacrifice for a human being.
Most certainly its first instinct.

Since the dawn of time cultures are codes, composed by religions, believes, values, rituals and social structures aimed to convey freedom into pre packed schemes.
By doing so, cultures are able to re-direct human libido into social activities such as work, obedience, prudery, education, sexual repression, accepted behaviors, jogging and starbucks addiction.

This given, now the problem comes when your pre-packed freedom faces another culture, meaning another pre-packed freedom.
If these encounters are part of a real experience, you will find your freedom wearing the hijab, eating separately from men, lowering the gaze when walking in the streets and feeling that culture is not a game.
Personally I am not new to cultural differences, but this is the first time that I feel I am giving up parts of my freedom and personality to respect this culture and this society.
And the more I deepen my knowledge the more I feel I coulnd't understand or accepte this world.
Although I am discovering many fascinating aspects, I am also undertanding that it is impossible for a grown up personality to forget its own freedom.
The surrounding reality may be accepted as a necessity or a protection, but deep inside freedom will be simmering, restless.
It is interesting to feel on its own skin (even for a second) what is that fuel that pushes revolutions, protests and crowds.

And for today my soundtrack is Freedom ,
from the masterpiece Django.

PS the picture was taken inside a mosque, few seconds before a man asked me to stay in the area designated for women, not mixing with men.
The area was the bottom of the mosque, were women were hidden behind a shield.
What an islamic girl told me was that this was meant to keep her safe, unseen and to give her the opportunity to pray without being annoyed by any man.

What I saw was a group of women bending behind a screen that were feeling safe and right just because men were turning their back on them.
And behind and hidden are well-built concepts in my mind,
I cannot imagine other meanings.